The new PTA Community Service Committee was established to teach and inspire our Glebe students to develop a sense of social responsibility, empathy and connection to their local and global community. Our goal is to instill a lifelong habit of service in every student to make the world a better place. The Community Service Committee will host the following events this year:
- Fall Stream Clean Up at Bon Air Park: The first project is a Family Stream Clean Up on Sunday, September 24th, from 3 – 5 pm at Bon Air Park (850 North Lexington Street) near the rose garden.
- Thanksgiving Meal Drive
- Giving Tree Holiday Drive
- Spring Community Event
- Food Drives
- Glebe Nourishment food assistance and toiletries programs
If you have any suggestions or would like to help, please feel free to contact a member of the committee.
Julie Madison: (email)
Frances McLaughlin: (email)
Tara Blankinship: (email)
Grace Ann Bourne: (email)
Robbin Boyajy: (email)
Shelly Stoneman: (email)
Start 2018 by Helping Others
The Glebe Community Service Committee proudly presents “Start the New Year Off Helping Others” – a Fundraiser for Food for Others, an award-winning nonprofit organization that fights hunger in our community by distributing donated food to NoVA residents and their kids.
Why: There are children in our community who do not have enough to eat during the weekends, when they are without access to school feeding programs. Your family can help by providing “Power Packs.”
What: A Power Pack is a bag that supplies children with two sets of breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks of pre-selected non-perishable foods that are easy to make and consume over a weekend.
How: Three ways to Help – Consider any One or All Three!
- Go to our Amazon Wish List and order from the food items listed there as soon as possible, and no later than January 3rd. (We cannot accept individual donations of food for this fundraiser due to the need to have an exact balanced count of all of the items mentioned.)
- And/or you can donate money to the Crowdrise page created to support this event. Every dollar makes a difference!
- And/or your family can help assemble the Power Packs with other Glebers on Sunday, January 7, from 3 to 5 pm in the Glebe Elementary School Multipurpose Room.
When: Now through Sunday, January 7th, when Power Packs are assembled (and we need lots of hands on to help out that day!).
Who: Glebe students and their families, as well as friends in the community, are welcome to donate and/or assemble Power Packs on January 7, 2018. (Kids 3 and up can also provide help with parental supervision.)