Vol. 4 | It’s FALL??? Edition | Sept. 24, 2019
Sept. 24 – 3:45-5 pm – Odyssey of the Mind “Try It” Workshop – A116 (Mrs. Huggler’s)
Sept. 27 – 3:45-5 pm – Odyssey of the Mind “Try It” Workshop – A116 (Mrs. Huggler’s )
Sept. 27 – NFL Spirit Day
Sept. 30 – Fall Enrichment Classes Begin
Sept. 30-Oct. 4 – AFAC Food Drive
Oct. 1 – 7-8 pm – PTA Meeting – Library
Oct. 2 – ETC Rehearsal Begins
Oct. 2 – Walk to School Day/BFF Kickoff
Oct. 4 – Odyssey of the Mind Participation Forms Due (Submit online)
Oct. 7-9 – Book Fair – Glebe Library
Odyssey of the Mind Information
Odyssey of the Mind is a program that offers students the opportunity to improve their creativity, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. Here’s a quick video that you and your student can watch to orient you to what Odyssey of the Mind is.
At Glebe this fall, we are now in the process of creating our Odyssey teams. Students will then spend from October to March 2020 solving a creative problem, then present their solutions at a regional competition. The teams do ALL the work and come up with ALL the ideas, encouraged by parent coaches. The hallmark of an Odyssey solution is that it is student-driven.
Please contact Glebe’s Odyssey of the Mind coordinator, Christina Headrick (email), if you are interested or have questions. We must recruit more parent coaches and judges this year to keep our program going!
For more information, please click here.
Friday, September 27
Are you a Redskins fan? Patriots? Eagles? Cowboys?
Wear your favorite NFL team colors today and show support for your favorite team!
AFAC Food Drive
September 30 – October 4th, 2019
In honor of National Hunger Action Month, Glebe will be holding our annual Food Drive. Please bring in non-perishable canned goods (vegetables, fruit, tuna), cereals, peanut butter and jelly are needed. Please help us support Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC)!
Wednesday, October 2nd
October 7-9, 2019
If you would like more information about our book fair, please visit the book fair’s homepage at: https://www.scholastic.com/bf/glebeelementaryschool
Chrissy Kuchera and the PTA
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have immediate need for a Social Media Volunteer, 5th Grade Parent to coordinate the Yearbook and Graduation and many of the Glebe Activities (Bingo Night, STEM Fair etc). If you are interested, please to contact us at [email protected]
FREE money fundraisers – so simple.
Do you know that you can make multiple donations this year without spending any extra money? The PTA has partnered with various organizations to help the PTA earn money. There is no deadline to act but the sooner you do the more money we can earn for our kids! Tell your family, friends, and neighbors to register too! You don’t have to be a Glebe family to help earn money for our students!
Harris Teeter: Earn a percentage of each purchase of Harris Teeter brand items when you link your VIC card!
- Visit: https://www.harristeeter.com/together-in-education
- Login or create an account
- Add Glebe School code: 3964
Amazon Smile: Earn a percentage of each purchase when you order from Amazon Smile. It looks and works the same as Amazon! ***Amazon smile does not work with the Amazon app***
- Login to Amazon Smile: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1246140
- Shop from there every time for Glebe to earn money
e-SCRIP Dining: Register your credit card and local businesses will donate a portion of your bill when you pay with that card.
- Login to: https://www.escrip.com
- Select Glebe Elementary School as your organization
- Enter your credit card information
- Dine, pay, and review for Glebe to earn money
Box Tops for Education
Have you been collecting your box tops?
Over the summer, Box Tops for Education released an app (Apple | Android) which lets you scan your receipts to receive credit on purchased products (10 cents/product). If you need more info, go to the Box Tops for Education site.
After download, if you are not prompted for a school, go to the Settings area (click on the top on your login name) and scroll to the “School” section where you can select “GLEBE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL”. Glebe’s school ID is 385133.
During the transition from cardboard to pixels, please note that unexpired cardboard/paper Box Tops are still valid. Please keep sending them in as Glebe can “double-dip” – once from your receipt scan (if you use the app) and once from the cardboard/paper version.
Feel free to submit app reviews in the relevant stores and/or send any questions/comments directly to Becky Milton.
- to Tara Blankinship, Julie Madison, and Beronica Salas for making sure our Nourishment Center is well stocked for Glebe families and bringing the community together!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email [email protected] – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email [email protected] –
For events/activities, email [email protected] – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email [email protected] – Chai Puri
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!