Volume 6 | BFF KICK-OFF Edition | October 9, 2018
Upcoming Events October 9th – October 22nd
October 10th, 1:26 pm: Early Release
October 10th: BFF Kick-off/National Walk To School Day
October 15th, 5-9 pm: DISTRICT TACO Dining Night – District Taco, Lee Hwy
October 15-19: Bully Awareness Week
October 16th, 7-8 pm: Rhyme & Cheese Night
October 18th: Picture Day
October 19th, 3:45-5 pm: Odyssey of the Mind, Problem Solving Workshop – Glebe Library
October 19th, 5-8 pm: Fall Potluck & Movie – Glebe “Backyard”
NO HOMEWORK THIS WEEK!!!
We did it! GLEBE FAMILIES FILLED THE AFAC BOXES IN THE SCHOOL LOBBY LAST WEEK, so there’s no homework this week.
BFF Kicks Off with National Walk & Bike to School Day!
Wednesday, October 10th
Walking and bicycling to school enables children to incorporate the regular physical activity they need each day while also forming healthy habits that can last a lifetime. When walking or biking, parents and children get to appreciate things they don’t notice while driving—listening to the sounds of the neighborhood, seeing friends and neighbors and feeling connected with their community. Parents, children and friends can enjoy one another’s company without the usual distractions.
Visit Who Walked 2017 to see who participated in last year’s event.
Walk to School Day also kicks off our annual “Be Your Body’s Best Friend Forever” (BFF) campaign to encourage wellness and healthy choices, such as walking to school, in our community.
October 15-19: Bully Awareness Week
Each day, fight bullying by participating in these schoolwide special days!
Monday – Being Kind is No Sweat – wear sweatpants to school!
Tuesday – Throw Shade to Bullies – wear sunglasses to school!
Wednesday – Put A Cap on Bullying – wear your favorite hat to school!
Thursday – Glebe and Bullying Don’t Mix – wear mismatched socks to school!
Friday – Put Bullying to Bed – wear your pajamas to school!
Dining Night at District Taco
Monday, October 15th, 5-9 pm
Take a break from cooking dinner and head over to District Taco (5723 Lee Hwy, Arlington, VA) and mention Glebe Elementary when you order. The PTA gets a percentage of the proceeds for Glebe events and activities! Tell your friends too!
Rhyme & Cheese Night
Tuesday, October 16th, 7-8 pm
Rhyme & Cheese celebrates Glebe students’ own writing in the hopes that it will encourage a love and excitement for the craft by all who participate and come to listen. The student will share their own original writing on October 16th at 7 pm with the Glebe community in a relaxed atmosphere and hopefully learn to love (or at least get comfortable) speaking in front of others. The Listeners are just as critical as The Writers, so encourage your student to come support their Glebe-mates. Submissions are due October 11th (box in Glebe lobby) and a lottery will be conducted to select 30 students.
Thursday, October 18
Class and Individual Pictures will be taken. Stay tuned for more info and order forms!
Odyssey of the Mind Spontaneous Problem Solving Workshop
Friday, October 19th, 3:45-5: Glebe Library
Students in Grades 3 to 5, and parents considering coaching, are invited to try out on-the-spot “Spontaneous” Problems. Meet and dismiss from in the Library. More information regarding the program can be found here: https://www.glebepta.org/extras/odyssey-of-the-mind/
Fall Potluck & Movie Night
Friday, October 19th, 5-8 pm
LAST CHANCE TO VOTE FOR THE MOVIE FOR OUR POTLUCK / MOVIE NIGHT
Thanks to all who voted! Coco is currently the movie in the lead (by one vote) to be played at the Annual Potluck and Movie Night next week. Please use the link below to vote for your family’s movie choice (The Greatest Showman, Coco, or E.T) Also signup for food and volunteers will be coming out this week. We hope to see you there!
Help us choose the movie for this years Fall Potluck Movie Night. Please vote!
Glebe Auction & Social Introductory Meeting – coming up!
Tuesday, October 23rd, 7-8 pm, Glebe Library
Everyone is encouraged to come out to learn more about auction planning and hear about volunteer opportunities. If you need more information, would like to discuss volunteering, or cannot come to the meeting, please email our Auction Chair, Liz Newman: [email protected].
Don’t miss your chance to see the Legwarmers!!!
Saturday, October 27th, 9 pm
Wanna relive the 80’s? Join fellow Glebers for a rockin’ blast to the past. Get those Madonna outfits ready, dust off your Jordache jeans and join us for a fun night. We have 14 tickets left for the It’s a Glebe 80’s party @ the Legwarmers Concert, which is scheduled for Saturday, October 27th at 9PM at the State Theater in Falls Church. Tickets are $100/person. If interested, email Erika Hartingh at [email protected]
News from External Affairs
(1) The Advisory Council on Instruction (ACI) needs parents to join sub-committees focused on specific topics. No expertise necessary–just interest. There are committees on language arts, science, special education, arts, gifted services, etc. If you have an interest, they have a committee. Committees meet once a month and recommend policy changes to the Advisory Council who then can take those recommendations to the Arlington School Board. It’s a great way to learn how APS works and to meet like-minded parents who are invested in improving your children’s education. Join!
(2) The district has hired the Friday Institute at North Carolina State University to evaluate APS’ 1:1 technology program (for Glebe purposes: iPads to all 3rd through 5th graders). The evaluation will take just five months but includes focus groups, classroom observations, and surveys. If you have questions, they may find answers. If you have specific questions you want them to ask, email [email protected] by October 25 who will share them with APS.
(3) Boundary issues abound. Check your inbox for upcoming meetings on how APS plans to re-design the boundaries for 11 elementary schools this year (not Glebe this time) and 14 additional elementary schools in 2020 (yes, Glebe).
- to our SRO (Student Resource Officer), Corporal Tiffanie Hegerty, for discussing social media and walking-to-school safety at our last PTA meeting. Thanks Principal Borg for always updating our community and supporting our PTA!
- to the dozens of Glebe families who made our first Dining Night of the year, at Pete’s Apizza, a success! You raised $200 for Glebe!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby! Questions? Ask Becky Milton [email protected]
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? Your broken, used crayons can be collected and re-purposed. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email [email protected] – Kristen Johnson
For newsletter/school communications, email [email protected] – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email [email protected] – Lauren Barber
For finance questions, email [email protected] –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!