Vol. 5 | It’s FALL!!! Edition | Oct. 1, 2019
Sept. 30-Oct. 4 – AFAC Food Drive
Oct. 1 – 7-8 pm – PTA Meeting – Library
Oct. 2 – ETC Rehearsal Begins
Oct. 2 – Walk to School Day/BFF Kickoff
Oct. 4 – Odyssey of the Mind Participation Forms Due (Submit online)
Oct. 7-9 – Book Fair – Glebe Library
Oct. 17 – School Picture Day
Oct. 18 – Fall Potluck & Movie Night (Rain Date Nov. 1)
AFAC Food Drive
September 30 – October 4th, 2019
In honor of National Hunger Action Month, Glebe will be holding our annual Food Drive. Please bring in non-perishable canned goods (vegetables, fruit, tuna), cereals, peanut butter and jelly are needed. Please help us support Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC)!
Tuesday, October 1 – 7-8 pm – Glebe Library
Please join us for our second PTA meeting of the 2019-20 school year! We will learn from the School Nurse about Lice Prevention, kick off the BFF program with a presentation from the Chairs about the plan for the upcoming year and meet Glebe’s new resource officer John Adams. Join us!
If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at an upcoming meeting, please send it to [email protected] ASAP. We will have child care for all potty trained children during the meeting and Spanish translation will be provided.
Wednesday, October 2nd
Odyssey of the Mind Information
Oct. 4 – Participation Forms Due (Submit online)
Odyssey of the Mind is a program that offers students the opportunity to improve their creativity, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. Here’s a quick video that you and your student can watch to orient you to what Odyssey of the Mind is.
At Glebe this fall, we are now in the process of creating our Odyssey teams. Students will then spend from October to March 2020 solving a creative problem, then present their solutions at a regional competition. The teams do ALL the work and come up with ALL the ideas, encouraged by parent coaches. The hallmark of an Odyssey solution is that it is student-driven.
Please contact Glebe’s Odyssey of the Mind coordinator, Christina Headrick (email), if you are interested or have questions. We must recruit more parent coaches and judges this year to keep our program going!
For more information, please click here.
October 7-9, 2019
If you would like more information about our book fair, please visit the book fair’s homepage at: https://www.scholastic.com/bf/glebeelementaryschool
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! Please sign up here for this great annual event!
Chrissy Kuchera and the PTA
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Immediate Need: VP of Communications (Executive Board position)
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have immediate need for a new VP of Communications, Social Media Volunteer, 5th Grade Parent to coordinate the Yearbook and Graduation and many others for Glebe Activities (Bingo Night, STEM Fair etc). If you are interested, please to contact us at [email protected]
- to Christina Headrick for once again, organizing Glebe’s Odyssey of the Mind Program and kicking the year off with workshops and parent information nights! We are very proud of our Odyssey of the Mind teams!
- to Tara Blankinship and Julie Madison for organizing the Glebe Theater Project this year with ETC. We are looking forward to see the kids performance in December!
- to Chai Puri for being our VP PTA Communications for the past year. The Glebe Community will miss you!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email [email protected] – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email [email protected] –
For events/activities, email [email protected] – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email [email protected] – Chai Puri
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!