Vol. 10 | Election Day Edition | Nov. 5,2019
Nov. 5 – NO SCHOOL – Grade Preparation Day
Nov. 6 – PTA Meeting
Nov. 11 – NO SCHOOL – Veterans Day
Nov. 12 – Shake Shack Dining Night
Nov. 13 – Author Visit to Grades K-2
Nov. 14 – Make up Picture Day AND Rhyme and Cheese
PTA Meeting November 6
The PTA meets in the Glebe library Wednesday, Nov. 6. The agenda includes presentations from Elaine Maag on the Be Smart gun safety program, and Gabriela Kock from Arlington Country Department of Transportation on the Glebe Crossing project at Glebe Rd. and 18th St. Child care is available during the meeting for all potty trained children and Spanish translation will be provided. If you have an agenda item you’d like to discuss at a future meeting, please send it to [email protected].
Rhyme & Cheese Night Coming Up! Forms due Nov. 8!
Rhyme & Cheese celebrates Glebe students’ own writing in the hopes that it will encourage a love and excitement for the craft by all who participate and come to listen. The student will share their own original writing on Thursday, November 14th at 7 pm with the Glebe community in a relaxed atmosphere and hopefully learn to love (or at least get comfortable) speaking in front of others. The Listeners are just as critical as The Writers, so encourage your student to come support their Glebe-mates. Submissions are due Friday, November 8th and a lottery will be conducted to select 30 students. Multi-authored pieces are welcome so long as the number of authors does not exceed two. The submission form can be accessed here and will also be in the Friday Folder and should be turned in the Glebe Lobby.
BFF Healthy Snack Showcase Friday, November 8
The BFF (Brains, Food & Fitness) team will have a table in the cafeteria on Friday, Nov. 8 to offer all students a healthy snack sample. We are looking for volunteers to help hand out snacks. You can sign up to help here and learn more about BFF here.
Dining Day at Shake Shack Tuesday, November 12
Need lunch or dinner and don’t feel like cooking? Head out for burgers, fries, and shakes at Glebe’s dining day on Tuesday, Nov. 12 from 11am-9pm at Shake Shack (4201 Wilson Blvd Suite 0180, Arlington, VA 22203)–very close to Ballston Metro! Remember to mention Glebe Elementary when your order, so our school PTA gets proceeds from those sales. For more information, you can click here.
APS Updates from our Glebe APS Ambassador
Elementary School Planning for 2021-22: Ways to Engage
On Wed, Oct. 30, APS shared proposals for moving some elementary schools as a first step in a countywide elementary school planning and boundary process for the 2021-22 school year. Community engagement regarding the proposed school moves begins now and continues through January 2020. The first community engagement activity will be an Online Information Session and Community Questionnaire available Tue, Nov. 5. Community members can review information at APS Engage and send questions via [email protected] or Twitter at #APSPlans2021. For other ways to engage, visit https://www.apsva.us/
Your APS Ambassador
Please contact Glebe’s APS Ambassador, Grace Solares with questions about items in this update or to signal your interest in other District initiatives, news and events.
Author visit: Ginjer Clarke Visits K-2nd Grade Classes
Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade classes will have the opportunity to meet nonfiction children’s book author Ginjer Clarke on Wednesday, Nov. 13. Ginjer writes fun, fact-filled nonfiction science books about wild, wonderful animals and nature that make learning about nature entertaining and engaging. During her time with students, Ginjer will read from her books and talk about being an author, how a book gets made, writing tips and exercises, and fascinating facts about some unusual creatures.
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have need for a Directory Volunteer, 5th Grade Parent to coordinate the Yearbook and Graduation and many others for Glebe Activities (Bingo Night, STEM Fair etc). If you are interested, please to contact us at [email protected]
to the many room parents and volunteers who made Halloween celebrations a success!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email [email protected] – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email [email protected] –
For events/activities, email [email protected] – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email [email protected] – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!