Vol. 34|WE LOVE OUR TEACHERS! Edition | May 7, 2019
May 6-10 – Teacher Appreciation Week
May 8 – Bike (or Walk) To School Day
May 18 – Glebe Day at Nats Park
May 20 – Girl Scout Informational Meeting
May 28 – PTSA Meeting – Dorothy Hamm Middle School
Teacher Appreciation Week
Glebe Day at Nats Park
May 18, 2019 – 7:15 pm
Click here for tickets: groupmatics.events/Glebe
‘Glebe Day at Nats Park’ t-shirt pickup details TBS – stay tuned!
National Bike (or Walk) -To-School Day
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
Join kids around the nation as they ride their bikes OR walk to school today!
DOROTHY HAMM MS PTSA MEETINGS
Mark your calendar for the upcoming PTSA general membership meeting:
Tuesday, May 28 at 7:00 pm at HB-Woodlawn (Library)
A PTSA – what is that, you may ask? A PTSA is a Parent, Teacher and Student Association. A
PTSA allows students a voice in their school and opportunities to help plan and organize PTSA-sponsored events under the guidance of parents. Students in a PTSA can contribute to their community in a positive way, and their involvement may help parents become more involved too!
Pre-K and K Girl Scout Information Meeting at Glebe!
Monday May 20th, 5 pm – 6 pm, Glebe Elementary Room D113
Parents, girls, and interested community members are invited to learn more about this 107-year-old organization and what makes Girl Scouting amazing!
Join us for an information meeting to learn about Girl Scouting in the Arlington Area!
If attending, please RSVP or contact for more information:
Hattie Waldron, Membership Specialist
[email protected], 202-274-3334
Mark your Calendars!
Glebe Tutors for Glebe kids
News from External Affairs – Laura LoGerfo
- A draft IPP framework and an online community survey will be available from now until May 13 at www.apsva.us/prek-12-
- A drop-in open house focused on IPP options will be held from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. on April 30 at Kenmore Middle School.
- APS will continue to share information on the IPP via the weekly APS Ambassador updates, School Talk messages, and social media
PTA positions – Next year’s openings
If you have ever thought about how you could make Glebe a better place, this is the perfect opportunity for you to do so. WE NEED VOLUNTEERS FOR THE PTA Executive Board for the 2019-2020 school year. Our By-Laws state we need to have a President and Treasurer for us to have a PTA. We have volunteers for some positions, but we need more individuals from the community to step up and take the reins for next year.
The following Executive Board positions are open: President, VP Program and Activities, VP Ways and Means, Corresponding Secretary and Recording Secretary.
Laura LoGerfo,VP of External Affairs and Chai Puri, VP of Communications, have volunteered to remain in their positions next year. Current board members will assist new board members in learning the ins and outs of their new position.
Jessica Burke has volunteered for Treasurer, but it is an election so if you are interested in any position, please let me know ASAP. On the same note, we also need two volunteers for Enrichment Committee (great for those who work as they do all of their work over email)!
Please contact Kristen at [email protected] if you are interested in any position.
- to all our young writers, readers, and those who came out to listen to their works on Rhyme & Cheese Night. A special thanks to Frances McLaughlin and Julie Madison for capping Glebe’s Rhyme & Cheese tradition with a great night this school year!
- to all that came out for our annual 5K/Fun Run and a huge thanks to Jennifer Shoji for coordinating the logistics to make this a safe and seamless event, once again!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email [email protected] – Kristen Johnson
For newsletter/school communications, email [email protected] – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email [email protected] – Lauren Barber
For finance questions, email [email protected] –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!