Vol. 16 | Signing off til 2020! Edition | Dec. 17, 2019
Dec. 18 – Holiday Cookies for Teachers
Dec. 23-Jan. 6 – NO SCHOOL – Winter Break
Jan. 8 – Winter Enrichment Classes Start
Jan. 9 – Bingo Night
Jan 14 – PTA Meeting
Jan. 15 – EARLY RELEASE and District Taco Dining Night
Directory Goes Digital!
The online Glebe directory is now LIVE. You can access it from the PTA website under the “Directory” tab or by clicking here. If you did not opt in already, please do so NOW and your information will be included in an update in early January. You MUST Opt In to have access. Instructions on how to opt in can be found on the directory landing page. A printed directory will be available in the office, by request, after the first round of updates. You also have the option to download as a PDF through the site. We will be sending more communications after the winter break. Questions? Email [email protected],we are here to help!
Holiday Tags 2019–Thank You!
A big THANK YOU to Ms. Salas, Tara Blankinship, Lauren Barber, and all who contributed to this year’s Holiday Tags program! Special thanks to Glebe teachers Ms. Arce, Ms. West, Ms. Huggler, and Ms. Nolan (pictured below) who came in over the weekend to help.
Calling all Bakers! Holiday Cookies for Teachers and Staff!
December 18, 8-9AM
Let’s show our teachers and staff how much we appreciate them by showering them with an assortment of holiday cookies. Please consider baking a batch or two of cookies or other goodies and bringing your treats to the Main Conference Room (first floor near the gym) on Dec. 18th from 8-9 AM.
Our Glebe staff will select a bunch and take them home in festive containers. We have A LOT of faculty members at Glebe, so we need A LOT of goodies and we’re hoping for 100 dozen items! Sign up HERE!
Lauren Barber will be this year’s event coordinator, making sure that there are enough volunteers and sweet treats. Please contact her if you have any questions.
Yearbook Photos Needed!
Year in and year out, Glebe always has a fantastic yearbook! To make it shine again this year, the designers want to include as many photos of kids and teachers in action as possible. Your help contributing photos you have taken in the school (or at other Glebe events) will be most appreciated! A Google Drive is in place to house photos, and folders by grade and activity have been created to keep track of different homerooms, specials, resource teachers, events, etc. Please contribute, and thanks for your help!
APS Updates from our Glebe APS Ambassador
New Community Questionnaire on Elementary School Planning Available until December 18
A new Community Questionnaire on planning proposals that explore moving some elementary schools to other buildings will be available until Dec. 18 online and in a printable PDF format in English and Spanish at APS Engage. The APS planning proposals seek to address challenges before beginning to develop boundaries in Fall 2020, keep more students in each school community together, and maximize school capacity and resources. The School Board will hold a Public Hearing on Jan. 30 and will take action on the final proposal(s) on Feb. 6, 2020. For more information, visit APS Engage.
Please contact Glebe’s APS Ambassador, Grace Solares with questions about items in this update or to signal your interest in other District initiatives, news and events.
Dining Night at District Taco
January 15th, 4-10pm
Need dinner, and don’t feel like cooking? Head over to Come out for burritos, enchiladas, tacos, salsa and more on Wednesday, January 15th from 4 – 10pm at District Taco (5723 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA 22207). This restaurant is a Glebe favorite, so come on out and say hello to your fellow Glebers!
Remember to say “Glebe Elementary” and our PTA gets a proceed from all Glebe sales!
Student/Teacher Raffle Donations: Donate now to the April 2020 Student/Teacher Raffle!
Received unwanted holiday gifts? Duplicate birthday gifts? Please consider donating unopened, unused gifts, toys, gift cards, electronics to the 2020 Raffle. Popular raffle items include outdoor games, sports-themed items, electronic and video games, gift cards, arts & craft items, Legos, and any currently “hot” toys including items that teachers might want to win. Contact Shelley Maniscalco, the raffle chair, if you have items to donate. The Student/Teacher Raffle is the kids’ chance to participate in the auction fun. Each child receives one ticket provided by the PTA, and can purchase additional tickets for 25 cents each. The raffle will be held the week of April 14-17, 2020. Donate items now!
Volunteers for 2019-2020 School Year Needed:
Want to get involved? There are many volunteer positions that we need to fill for the 2019-2020 school year! We have a need for a parent to help Ms Williams plan the STEM night on March 11, 2020. If you are interested, please to contact us at [email protected]
- to Sarah Botha for all of her hard work on the Glebe Directory, and to Christina Headrick for getting it up and running on the website!
- to Tara Blankinship, Julie Madison, Ms. Bok and the ETC Theater Company for another amazing production, and for Glebe Parent Lauren Wisniewski for taking great photos of the performers!
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects and events throughout the year.
- Did you know that you can earn money for Glebe at NO EXTRA COST to you?!? Visit our website for more information on our Free Money Fundraisers, such as linking your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary. A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe at NO COST to you!
- We collect Box Tops! You can turn these in to the box in the Front Lobby or scan them with your phone!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Want to include an item in the Gleagle News? Just send an email with your updates, events, news and information! The deadline for the coming week’s edition is every Sunday at 7pm.
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email [email protected] – Isabel Simmerman
For finance questions, email [email protected] –
For events/activities, email [email protected] – Amy LaFalce
For newsletter/school communications, email [email protected] – Rachel Barish
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!