Vol. 40| Have A Great Summer Edition | June 18, 2019
June 18 – 5th Grade Picnic
June 19 – 5th Grade Promotion
June 21 – School Kidz orders DUE
June 21 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL (Early Release)
**Check out Glebe’s Summer Reading web page here: https://glebe.apsva.us/curriculum/reading/summer-reading/
**Our dedicated crossing guard, Mr. Washington, is retiring on the last day of school. Please wish him well when you see him over the next few weeks!
**If you have any receipts/expenses for reimbursement to submit to the PTA, please do so by this THURSDAY, June 20th! Please contact our Treasurer, Diana Paulraj, with any questions: [email protected]
**As a token of appreciation for everyone who made it out to Glebe Day at Nats Park (May 18th), the Nationals wanted to send a personal coupon code that can be used to get discounts on Nats tickets. To take advantage of these savings please do the following:
1. Go to www.nationals.com/VIP
2. Select the game of your choice
3. Insert the code CMURPHY into the Coupon Code box
4. Select seat location and quantity
APS School Ambassador needed for 2019-20
Please see below for description of the role and if intersted, please email Jamie Borg at [email protected]
Role & Responsibilities
The Ambassador role was developed in 2017 to help APS families stay up to date on initiatives that are division-wide, for example, boundary adjustments, School Board policy changes, the 2018-24 Strategic Plan, and more. To learn more about the type of information involved, please visit https://www.apsva.us/engage/.
- Principals identify a parent volunteer each year to serve as an APS School Ambassador; some schools have two to three volunteers in this role, including one who speaks Spanish or another language
- At some schools, the Ambassador role is filled by the PTA President, VP, or Newsletter volunteer
- There is one in-person Ambassador meeting at Syphax Education Center in the fall, and a mid-year update (which may be delivered via online presentation)
- Ambassadors receive a weekly email update throughout the school year with information in English and Spanish about current APS initiatives, decision points and deadlines, and how people can learn more and participate
- Ambassadors are asked to share relevant information from the bilingual weekly email updates with families using the communications channels that work best for each school, including PTA website/newsletter, email, social media, handouts, texts/WhatsApp, or parent meetings
- Ambassadors are asked to share questions or input they hear from families that can help APS identify information needs and develop FAQs, handouts and other communication pieces
School Kidz Orders
Save time and money by ordering your child’s supply kit today! No running from store to store. Kits are personalized and include exact items required for next school year. Please see below for information on donating kits to students in need, as well!
*PLEASE CONSIDER ORDERING A DONATED KIT WITH YOUR OWN*
They are in need at all grade levels, ESPECIALLY 4TH AND 5TH!
Order online at:
Use Account #: 30024
Order online by: June 21, 2019
Kit Pick Up: In Classroom on the First Day of School
1st Grade $79.00
2nd Grade $67.00
3rd Grade $65.00
4th Grade $87.00
5th Grade $80.00
**Kit components may be viewed online.**
Important Parent Notes
***Make sure to order for the grade your child will be in NEXT year
*** All sales are final, no returns or exchanges are accepted.
The portal closes at 11:59 EST on June 21, 2019. We have no way to place orders after that time.
Interested in helping a Glebe student in need? Order a kit and please fill in “Donation” in the first and last name fields.
Thank you! Questions? Contact Ainsley at [email protected]
NOTE: When ordering, please DO NOT change the address or phone number. The kits are shipped directly to Glebe.
Calling all girls interested in Scouting! Troop 163 is a newly-formed, all-girl troop with Scouts BSA (formally known as Boy Scouts.) This high-energy, well-equipped troop has a year-round program designed to build character, citizenship, and personal fitness through camping and scout-led leadership, with the counsel of a trained Scoutmaster. Girls explore their interests and improve a variety of skills while working toward Scouting’s highest rank: Eagle.
Troop 163 meets Mondays from 7:30-9:00 pm at Westover Baptist Church, 1125 Patrick Henry Dr Arlington, VA 22205. (Check the website for the summer schedule.) Any girl 11-17 interested in joining the troop, should contact Troop 163’s Scoutmaster at [email protected],
Glebe Tutors for Glebe kids
Calling All Dorothy Hamm Middle School Rising 6th Graders!
Join us this summer at the Rosslyn Outdoor Movie Festival for a chance to connect with fellow DHMS rising 6th graders! Mark your calendar for the next DHMS 6th Grade Summer Movie Night, hosted by the DHMS PTSA:
- Friday, July 12th 5:00pm* – Incredibles 2
- Look for the DHMS area & wear RED to find DHMS families
- Bring your blankets, chairs & snacks
- Local food trucks and popcorn available for sale
- Visit rosslynva.org for more event details– DHMS PTSA on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/
groups/252586794927556/)– DHMS PTSA on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dhms_ptsa #dhmssummerfun #dhms6thgrade*Movie starts at 5:30pm.
- Glebe Teachers & Staff: The entire PTA membership would like to thank Jamie Borg, Ingrid Clarke-Marshall, and all of Glebe’s teachers and staff for making this year memorable, educational, and fun for our kids. You make our children excited to go to school each day and learn while having fun and staying safe – we cannot thank you enough!
- Volunteers: Glebe is what it is because of YOU. Nowhere else is the community of countless parents, grandparents, siblings, caregivers, friends and students as strong as at Glebe. You have given your time, knowledge, money, and donated everything from School Supplies, Box Tops, Crayons, Food, Toiletries, Baked Goods, Newspapers, Paper Towel Rolls, Costumes, Party Supplies and whatever has been asked of you. WE THANK YOU!
- To Those Moving On: To the students, teachers and staff who will moving on to a new place or a new endeavor in your life, we wish you all the best and thank each and every one of you – your individual contributions helped shaped our community as a whole and you will be missed.
- Did you know you can buy Glebe Spiritwear online? Every sale contributes to Glebe Elementary School PTA projects throughout the year.
- Don’t forget to link your Harris Teeter card and Amazon Smile to Glebe Elementary! A percentage of your purchases goes directly to Glebe and at NO COST to you!
- Have Box Tops? You can turn these in to the collection box in the Front Lobby!
- Please bring in food and toiletries for our Glebe Nourishment Center. Cart in the Front Lobby!
- Have used crayons? our The Crayon Initiative takes your broken, used crayons and re-purposes them. Just drop them off in the main office collection bin or in your child’s classroom!
- Have you checked out our Facebook page? You’ll find lots of posts for upcoming events, photos from school assemblies, and other important information you want as a Glebe parent! Click here and ‘LIKE’ our page!
Need to Reach Us?
For general questions, email [email protected] – Kristen Johnson
For newsletter/school communications, email [email protected] – Chai Puri
For events/activities, email [email protected] – Lauren Barber
For finance questions, email [email protected] –
Other PTA questions? Find out who can help you!